My darlings, I do believe that women who wear black lead colorful lives. And this is my little funny ode to my soul color.
Everybody thinks I wear it because I’m convinced I look thinner in it…and I do, but that’s not the reason. I wear black because I love the color, it makes me feel confident and I feel good in my skin, powerful. I do have other colors in my closet, just not a lot of them:) I’ve been wearing black since I was young, since I was dancing and wanted black dresses (I was a Latin and Ballroom dancer for almost ten years) so it’s not only because of my body image. But I am a happy and vivacious person, I like to laugh, to smile, to live my life and be alert. Black calms me, I don’t know why.
As a plus sized girl, it’s hard to find good, fitting clothes in the city. While Vienna is inclusive of curvy people, we still have a long way to go. You have some shops and boutiques that bring in bigger sizes but it’s not alway cheap. So if I want to buy day to day stuff, I can either go to H&M (some shops carry the Plus line but they don’t have much variety) or to C&A, and that’s about it. We have Ulla Popken, my favorite place to shop, but even the basics can set you back a few Euros if you want a better quality. And of course, boutiques bring pieces from Marina Rinaldi, Pia Antonia and more but the prices are up there so I only buy from them when I need statement pieces or if I have the money to spare (which is almost never so there you have it). What do I do for the basics? I shop online. I actually like taking the time to wander through shops because I want to have the whole experience and relax while doing it but I understand that getting with the times means more variety online so I have to adhere to the new ways. It is what it is. Today, I want to tell you why I loove buying black and why I think this color makes sense. And then I want to show you what I bought from ASOS Curvy lately, a shop I discovered a couple of months ago (I knew Asos but never looked to see if they carry big sizes). I’m actually quite pleased with what they have to offer, the prices match the quality and you can discover some cheap finds for daily usage. Take care with the materials, sometimes they don’t match the picture but you still get good stuff for the money you pay. You will also see clothes from Ulla Popken, Zalando Curve and HM+ in my posts. Ulla Popken is my happy place in Vienna, they have the best crew, they make me feel welcomed and recommend the best products.
So here you go, 9 reasons for wearing black and wearing it proudly!
- You can match the color to any skin or hair tone. Everybody can wear black, it’s a given. It doesn’t matter what skin tone you have, black is a neutral so it will never clash with your hair or complexion or even your preferred makeup look. It’s so easy to wear.
- You can hide sweat stains easily. Wearing black means if you sweat, no problem. You will only see stains in direct sun light or on pictures in a club. And I have a huge problem with this, I sweat because of my thyroid and it has become a complex of mine over the years. The problem is, it’s mood related and if my anxiety kicks up, if I’m agitated, emotional or even happy all of a sudden, bam, there it is. And if I know I’m wearing black, I’m calmer, I know I can avoid any blunders or look awkward. It gives me extra confidence.
- Black makes you slimmer. While this is a plus, it isn’t my main focus point. It’s just an added bonus.
- You can accessorize much easier when wearing black. Not only that, you can wear shoes and bags of different colors without it being too heavy on the outfit. So red shoes go with every outfit. But if I’m wearing a green dress, red shoes and want a pink or an orange purse/clutch/whatever…yeah, that’s not happening. When you wear black, you can mix and match better.
- You don’t need to obsess about how to coordinate your outfit. I can wear my favorite pieces all the time, nobody will judge my choices.
- Oh and speaking of stains, you can easily hide almost each stain. Red wine? Some grease? You’re good until you get home and get to a washing machine, just sayin’.
- Black never goes out of style. Colors change every season so your wardrobe should too. But if you wear all black? That doesn’t apply to you. Black will always be in, will always be trendy.
- BLACK. LEATHER. JACKETS. Enough said!
- Black is sexy! It gives off an aura of elegance, mistery and attraction. Look at a men in an all black suit. Yummy. Same goes for women in a cute LBD.
I don’t want to convince you to wear all black every day. Just pointing out some advantages to doing it sometimes and maybe get some people off my back, get them to stop asking me if I have the longest depression in written history (which should NEVER be a joking matter). You can probably see that while I love wearing black, I keep my accessoires (shoes, bags and so on) colorful, it makes them stand out better and that is when I go wild with colors.
If you need advice on some cheap and good shopping places online, let me know, I would be happy to keep you informed. Kisses!